Friday, April 17, 2009

Winning the Winners Winners Winners League

Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love LeBron

Part 1: The Draft

Entering the 2008-09 fantasy basketball season, I was looking for a challenge. All of my private leagues were in the head-to-head format (which, as those of you who pay attention to my posts know, is not my favorite format in the world), so I was looking for a challenging roto league. I had played in roto leagues in the past, but all were Yahoo! Public leagues and, as those who have played in such leagues can attest, they are not the surest test of fantasy skill. Half the teams lag far behind in games played at midseason due to inactivity, leaving a handful of attentive teams to vie for the title; popular waiver adds who would be snapped up immediately in normal 12 team leagues somehow linger on the wire for days on end; and strategy is rudimentary at best (“How many Pistons can I draft?” and “Let’s pair Dwight Howard and Tracy McGrady together and see what happens!” being two methods I’ve observed).

Clearly, finding a roto league populated with smart, attentive managers who get their games played in is a non-trivial exercise. This is why, when rotoworld.com forum legend The Czar approached me about playing in his long-running roto league, I jumped at the chance. Despite a lack of financial incentives, this is a league that takes itself very seriously; players get their games in or suffer the consequences (teams outside the top 3 who don’t get 780 games in are subject to removal from the league), and the trash talk is often merciless. Also present was Phantasy Phreak from these very same forums, along with 9 others who are not forum members.

Our live draft took place a bit before the season started, on 19 October 2008. We had determined draft order before the draft date, and I knew that I would have the 4th pick in the draft. Coming into the 08-09 season, the two clear top options in roto were Chris Paul and Amare Stoudemire. Clearly, my first option was to take one of these two if they happened to slip. They didn’t. Paul went first, Kobe second, and Amare third. This is basically how I expected things to go, leaving me with my predetermined conundrum of LeBron James versus Dirk Nowitzki. Hindsight would dictate that this is no choice at all, but prior to the season LeBron was a player with serious roto question marks. His poor FT% (71.2% in 07-08) at high volume and a high turnover number (3.4 per game) were giant red flags for this format. Obviously upside was a plus for LeBron, but I gave Dirk some serious thought, for being a boon in both percentages and generally a high quality roto pick. Ultimately, I went for the challenge and took Mr. James, which worked out OK.

Having taken what I thought was a huge FT% anchor, I was determined to shore up that category with my next couple of selections. I was pleased as punch to be able to select Kevin Martin with my second-round selection (pick #21). KMartJu was the 4th most positive FT shooting player in 2008-09, and #2 the season before that. While I didn’t figure he would singlehandedly save my FT%, he was definitely the player I wanted at that slot and would go a long way to salvaging that category.

When my third pick (#28) rolled around, I (basically) had no choice but to draft Marcus Camby. He was a player I had ranked very high on my pre-season cheat sheet (mid-second round, to be precise). Despite the injury history and new team (pre-Randolph trade, mind you), I couldn’t avoid the value in this spot.

For my fourth pick (#45), I selected another roto mainstay in Rasheed Wallace. One of the elite roto players, Wallace is a longtime member of the 1-1-1 club (steals, blocks, three pointers made), has C eligibility, and also seldom commits TOs. Rasheed is another player whose value (end of 3rd round) far exceeded his draft slot.

With my fifth selection (#52), I took a calculated risk and selected Mike Dunleavy, Jr. Dunleavy was the 31st ranked player in 9-cat roto for 07-08, and while I didn’t expect quite that level of production, I figured at pick 52 he would be a good value even with a built-in drop-off from his play of the previous season. I didn’t figure he would have a giant bone spur in his knee, but that’s a topic for another time.

Well-known percentage assassin David Lee was my selection in the sixth round (#69). Obviously his play this season exceeded my expectations, but even if he were to simply duplicate his last year’s stat line (11 points, 9 rebounds, 55%/81%) he would be another positive force for my percentages.

My seventh-round choice presented an unexpected but pleasant problem. Both Andris Biedrins and Ray Allen were remaining on the board for pick #76. I had both guys going much higher in the draft, so I was quite stunned to see them last that long. While Allen was probably the better choice for my team (given a slight dearth of three-point shooting with Wallace, Dunleavy, and LeBron so far), I channeled my inner Brad Evans and succumbed to the man-crush, taking the spiky-haired Latvian.

At this point The Czar said in chat something along the lines of “I think you just punted FT%.” Clearly I had some more work to do, and fast. It was for this reason that I selected Richard Hamilton with my eighth-round choice, pick #93. I am not a big fan of Hamilton in roto formats; he doesn’t make many threes for a SG, doesn’t pass particularly well, doesn’t steal the ball hardly ever, and isn’t a great FG% shooter, either. But you know what he does do well? Shoot free throws. At this point, I felt my team was strong enough in all categories (save assists, more on this later) to give up some to shore up the FT%, so Rip it is.

My ninth-round selection (#100) was another FT% assassin, Kirk Hinrich. Despite massive uncertainly regarding his role in the stacked Chicago backcourt (Hinrich, Gordon, Derrick Rose, Larry Hughes), I figured at worst a trade could spring him if Rose turned out to be awesome. It turned out he broke his wrist early in the season, clearing the path for Rose’s likely RoY campaign.

In Round 10 (#117) I took one final FT% assassin, Kyle Korver. He also helped me in threes, which I felt was a weak point of my team.

Round 11 (#124) – Gilbert Arenas. Since my starting lineup was ostensibly filled, I took a chance on an injured guy here. Considering I didn’t spend much, I don’t really regret this pick.

Round 12 (#141) – Rodney Stuckey. This was an awesome genius pick that I proceeded to screw up by dropping him in the beginning of the season.

Round 13 (#148) – Louis Williams. Not much to see here.

If you glance over my supposed starting roster, Hinrich – Dunleavy – Hamilton - LBJ – Lee – Wallace - Biedrins – Camby - Korver – Martin, my team was very strong in most categories, including TOs. While many roto players choose to simply ignore turnovers, I feel it’s a chance to get a ton of value in players that others might not be too jazzed about. As many of you have read, there is a clear inverse relationship between standing in AST and TOs; that is, the higher in AST you finish, the lower you finish in TO (generally speaking). Many players pump high draft picks into PGs like Deron Williams to finish strong in AST, but such players only end up tanking you in TOs. It’s a zero sum game, basically. If you know that with some deft managing you will get at best a total of 16-18 points from the two categories combined, why kill yourself over AST?

Part 2: The early game, and dealing with some early-season disappointment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mr dash, please come through with your promise for a part 2. i would very much like to know how you won this league.

regards